My Blog List

Friday 11 November 2011

Frustrations and lucky finds...

Hello,

I could quite get used to not having to work Fridays! I played truant again today (flexi-time, honest!) to catch up on a bit of housework (excuse) and cut out a toile for my planned jacket - frustration! Here's a couple of pictures so far:
Can you see the massive gaping armholes? The front seems to pull across the bust, but there is a ton of spare fabric across the back!  After much mulling, fiddling and plain old head scratching, I finally decided I actually don't like the pattern - I was looking for something with more shape, princess seams etc and I came round to thinking that no matter how many alterations I made, this wasn't going to be the jacket for me - and I like my fabric too much to risk that!

So, only thing for it was to go shopping and acquire the Built by Wendy Coats and Jackets - I've seen Handmade Jane start a jacket from this book so hopefully I may even be able to pick some tips up!  Whilst out shopping I had to pass our local Barnardo's (charity shop - or thrift shop!) and snapped up this little bargain!
This looks and feels like pure wool - 60 inches wide and there is 3.5 metres of it! I've never heard of Semler of London, but it feels lovely quality wool houndstooth with tones of green grey and taupe! Not sure what it will make yet - any ideas?

See you soon :)

2 comments:

  1. What the hell! I would love to live in the house next to you to sew together and to activate all the resources I have in my head to go ahead with your jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow lovely fabric and I love it when you find something great at an op shop. I've found a few bits of gorgeous tailor quality wool over the last year but sadly not much yardage so I'm hoping the moths don't find it before I figure out what to do with it.

    Good luck with finding a good jacket pattern and I hope all goes better with the new one!

    ReplyDelete